High: 75°F ~ Low: 54°F
Monday, Mar. 27, 2017
Best music of 2008? Here's my list - let's see yoursPosted Sunday, December 21, 2008, at 1:52 PM
Trying to put together any kind of a "best of" list can be both frustrating and confusing.
But what the heck, here's my list of the music that caught my short attention span in 2008. These are CDs and DVDs that were actually released in the year of 2008 only. I didn't include things that came out late in 2007 on my lists.
A lot of the stuff on here never had any kind of major distribution or promotion, and by and large, most of this stuff didn't come close to cracking the national conscious on any kind of level. Not to mention the fact that little of these dented the Billboard Hot 100 over the course of 2008.
But that's OK.
It's just stuff that I dig.
I've broken it down into several categories because I have never had the ability to concentrate on just one particular form of music.
However, I don't want to stop with just my list. I'm sure I have forgotten about, or just plain overlooked, some cool stuff that came out in 2008, so I want your list.
Just log on to the comment section at the bottom of this blog and let me know what got you movin' and groovin' in 2008.
Do it however you want to. Break it down by categories (include as many or as few as you like) or just come up with one big, catch-all kind of list.
Bottom line- just have fun with it.
And by the way, I hope everyone has a happy and prosperous new year!
Now, on to my best of 2008:
BEST MUSIC-RELATED DVDS OF 2008
1. Steve Miller Band - Live From Chicago
2. Zappa Plays Zappa - Zappa Plays Zappa
3. Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live
4. Deep Purple - Around The World Live
5. Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
6. The Who - Amazing Journey
7. Spock's Beard - Live
8. Gov't Mule - A Tail Of 2 Cities
9. Warren Haynes - Benefit Concert Volume 8
10. Various Artists - All Your Need Is Love
BEST ROCK OF 2008
1. Rush - Snakes & Arrows
2. Black Stone Cherry - Folklore & Superstition
3. Metallica - Death Magnetic
4. Black Keys - Attack & Release
5. Uriah Heep - Wake The Sleeper
6. Back Door Slam - EP
7. Steve Winwood - Nine Lives
8. Rose Hill Drive - Moon Is The New Earth
9. Kings X - XV
10. Black Angels - Directions To See A Ghost
BEST SOUL/R&B OF 2008
1. JJ Grey & MOFRO - Orange Blossoms
2. Steve Cropper & Felix Cavaliere - Nudge It Up A Notch
3. Eddie Floyd - Eddie Loves You So
4. Duffy - Rockferry
5. Lalah Hathaway - Self Portrait
6. Al Green - Lay It Down
BEST BLUES OF 2008
1. Buddy Guy - Skin Deep
2. Taj Mahal - Maestro
3. Susan Tedeschi - Back To The River
4. Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band - The Whole Fam Damnily
5. Moreland & Arbuckle - 1861
6. Little Freddie King - Messin' Around Tha House
7. Sonny Landreth - From The Reach
8. Elvin Bishop - The Blues Rolls On
9. Scrapomatic - Sidewalk Caesars
10. Homemade Jamz Blues Band - Pay Me No Mind
BEST JAZZ OF 2008
1. McCoy Tyner - Guitars
2. Will Bernard - Blue Plate Special
3. Stanton Moore Trio - Emphasis On Parenthesis
4. David Sanborn - Here And Gone
5. Robert Walter - Cure All
6. Roy Hargrove - Ear Food
7. Herbie Hancock - Then And Now
8. Pat Methany - Day Trip
9. Return To Forever - The Anthology
10. Medeski, Martin & Wood - Zaebos
BEST COUNTRY OF 2008
1. Glen Campbell - Meet Glen Campbell
2. Hank Williams - Unreleased Recordings
3. Waylon Jennings - Waylon Forever
4. Little Big Town - A Place To Land (came out in 2007, re-released on new label in 2008)
5. Ashton Shepherd - Sounds So Good
6. George Jones - Burn Your Playhouse Down
7. Lady Antebellum - Lady Antebellum
BEST REISSUES OF 2008
1. Kansas - Two For The Show
2. Genesis - 1970-1975 (box set)
3. Tommy Bolin - The Ultimate: Redux
4. Sun Ra - Secrets Of The Sun
5. Black Oak Arkansas - The Knowbody Else '69
6. Cheap Trick - Budokan!
7. CCR - Green River, Bayou Country, Cosmo's Factory, 40th anniversary editions
8. Free - Fire And Water (Deluxe Edition)
9. Otis Redding - Otis Blue
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors (Deluxe Edition)
BEST LIVE ALBUMS OF 2008
1. Joe Bonamassa - Live From Nowhere In Particular
2. Jeff Beck - Live At Ronnie Scott's
3. Clash - Live At Shea Stadium
4. Thin Lizzy - UK Tour 1975
5. Tab Benoit - Night Train To Nashville
6. Otis Redding - Live! in London And Paris
7. Mavis Staples - Live: Hope At The Hideout
8. Gov't Mule - Holy Haunted House
9. ZZ Top - Live From Texas
10. Neil Young - Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury House 1968
Respond to this blog
Posting a comment requires free registration:
Since my own high school sports career fizzled out before it really reached its zenith, I have managed to live vicariously through the student/athletes of the 16 high schools I've covered for Areawide Media since 2001. I've witnessed the highest of highs in the form of state championships. I have also seen first-hand the sting of disappointment when the ultimate prize was within reach, but still eluded the grasp of its pursuer. But through all the ups and downs associated with high school sports, my respect for the young competitors that suit up each night, along with the men and women who guide them, remains unwavering. Blog mission: With my passion for music, especially live music, running second only to my passion for sports, I'll try to devote this space to both. Especially when it concerns our region and what's happening around it. Look for commentary and features on area sports figures and musicians, along with things to get out and do in the beautiful Spring River/Ozarks area. But I'll not totally ignore the outside - I'll also hit on some national happenings in the wide worlds of sports and music.