Louise Norman Burrow, 83, of Hot Springs, Ark., died Sept. 22, 2005, in Little Rock, Ark.
Growing up on her beloved Spring River in Hardy, Lou was the daughter of Henry and Mariam Buford Norman. She graduated from Hendrix College in 1943 and was married to Dr. Thomas E. Burrow until his death in 1983.
Having lived in Hot Springs for 47 years, Lou was active in the community. She served as the president of the Garland County Medical Auxiliary, as chairperson of the board of the Hot Springs YWCA and as a deacon and elder of First Presbyterian Church.
Her favorite times were those spent with her family or in the Arkansas outdoors. She loved hiking in the woods, pursuing an elusive bird, identifying an unusual wildflower or canoeing in a fast-flowing river. She was an early member of the Ozark Society, the Arkansas Native Plant Society and the Audobon Society.
She is survived by four daughters, Linda and Red VanHook of Little Rock, Barbara and Frank Deuschle of Hot Springs, Holly and Rob Farrell of Dallas, Texas, and Sally and Bruce Simpson of Hot Springs; two sons, Tommy and Meg Burrow of Hot Springs and Jim and Emily Burrow of Little Rock; 16 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.
The loving matriarch of a large, lively and diverse clan, Lou was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, and her three brothers.
Graveside services were held Sept. 25 at the Buford Family Cemetery on Wahpeton Hill in Hardy followed by a memorial service on Sept. 26 at the First Presbyterian Church in Hot Springs. Arrangements were under the direction of the Tri-County's Cherokee Chapel of Hardy.
In lieu of flowers, memorials to Hendrix College, 1800 Harkrider, Conway, AR 72032, the Arkansas Nature Conser-vancy, 601 N. University, Little Rock, AR 72205, or the Burn Unit at Arkansas Children's Hospital, 800 Marshall St. Little Rock, AR 72202 would be appreciated.