Heat exhaustion, smoke inhalation, hot spots and a man sleeping in a lower back apartment were forces firefighters had to battle against at an apartment complex blaze on Church Street in Salem Feb. 23.
The Salem Fire Department responded to the emergency call and upon arrival the fire was in the bottom center and upper level of the complex. Bystanders at the scene alerted firemen that a man in one of the apartments was probably asleep.
Firemen were able to wake him up and he escaped without harm.Fire Chief Heath Everett said firemen battled for about an hour to bring the fire under control, but hot spots kept coming up and a dirt floor basement half full of water hampered the cleanup efforts.
The old two-story structure was hard to move around in to fight the fire, Everett said.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at 5:32 p.m. and stayed until 10:30 p.m. Everett said about 70,000 gallons of water and five gallons of fire foam were used to extinguish the fire.
The Fulton County Hospital Ambulance Service treated several firemen for heat exhaustion and mild smoke inhalation, but all remained on the scene the entire evening, Everett said.The business portion of the structure received minor fire damage but had heavy smoke and water damage.
The complex, owned by Warren Cadenbach of Salem, housed two businesses: Suzy's Beauty Shop and Salem T.V. Repair.
The Salem Police Department, Fulton County Sheriff's Office and the Arkansas State Police assisted in shutting down Church Street.
Other fire departments assisting with the blaze included Camp, Glencoe, Sturkie, Morriston and Mammoth Spring fire departments.