[Nameplate] A Few Clouds ~ 66°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 49°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Girl On A Mission

Thursday, February 28, 2002

This past Monday did not start out pleasant; I awoke at 3 a.m. to a son who was heaving and left a trail from his bed all the way to the bathroom. To make matters worse, I jumped out of bed barefoot to check on him and felt an unpleasant sensation on my feet. It wasn't pretty.

After everything was said and done I discovered that I probably would not make a very good nurse because I was heaving, too. I commend the nurses and their assistants who are left every day to handle life's unpleasantries.

After cleaning up the mess I dreamed about that little ordeal the rest of the night. My alarm clock advised me it was time to get up and head to work. I checked on my son who appeared just fine and decided school was in order. I put his heaving down to the fact that he just ate too much or had a slight case of food poisoning.

After arriving at work I received a phone call from the school nurse who told me Brandon was in the clinic sick.

I left work and got to the school in a timely manner (I thought) but my son informed me that I must have taken the scenic route and asked why in the world I was so late.

At that point I was not in the best of moods and told my son it would be in his best interest to remain silent the rest of the trip home.

After I got him settled in at home I sat at my computer to type articles to meet my deadlines for this week's issue of The News.

Unfortunately, I didn't even get one word typed when I heard a car pull into the driveway.

I went outside to discover a neighbor who informed me a fire was in progress nearby at another neighbor's land. I loaded my sick son into the car. By that time, I had changed my clothes, was in red flannel sweats, (actually they were pajamas) and a green sweatshirt.

Once we arrived at the scene of the fire I discovered the land burning was NOT the neighbor's land; it was MY land.Thanks to the quick response of three retired men (one being my daddy) and the Ash Flat Fire Department, the fire was contained. One of the neighbors fighting the fire was scheduled for surgery the next day and was asthmatic to make matters worse. But this man kept on fighting the fire even though his wife was on the sidelines worried about his health.

In all the excitement and chaos I forgot to thank everyone who helped save my family's land. So I'm taking this opportunity to do something I should have done in the first place and say, "Thank you and God bless you."