The descendants of Henry Tucker and his two wives -- Mary "Polly" Grant and Sally Myers -- of Washington County, Va., will hold a family reunion at the North Arkansas Electric Cooperative building in Salem Oct. 4-5.
Kinchen Tucker, the eldest son of Henry and Polly, first moved his family to Fulton County in the 1850s. The population of Fulton County swelled greatly with the arrival of Kinchen and Sarah along with most of their 13 children and offspring because they were among the first settlers there. Several Tucker sons settled land in Fulton County. Kinchen Tucker was instrumental in starting the Church of Christ at Agnos, which is the oldest church to hold continuous services in Fulton County. The first services were held in the Tucker home in 1858.
Many Tucker descendants still reside in northeast Arkansas and have been active members of their communities throughout the past 155 years. Others live as far away as Oregon, Washington and even Okinawa. This will be the first time that many of the cousins, who have been corresponding by e-mail, will meet in person.