The biennial Sidney School Homecoming will be Aug. 31 at the community center starting at 1 p.m. All former students and residents of the Sidney area are welcome to attend, according to reunion planner Verbyl Caraway.
The reunions started in 1981 and have been held every two years since. Until consolidation in 1957, the Sidney School District served a large area of southwestern Sharp County, plus a part of Izard County.
Evening Shade, Cave City and Mount Pleasant Schools received Sidney students after the school closed.
A school existed at Sidney long before the town was established in the 1880s. During pre-Civil War days, school was conducted in a church about one-half mile south of the present town.
A small school at the east end of Main Street was Sidney's first official school, and in 1894 an impressive two-story schoolhouse was constructed on a hill overlooking the town. This structure served until razed in 1932.
A rock-veneered building, following federal blueprints, was opened in 1932 and served until consolidation in 1957. The school was torn down for the construction of the Sharp Nursing Home.
In 1992 former students placed a historical marker at the site of the old school.