[Nameplate] Fair ~ 53°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 47°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Sturkie man attacks paramedic in ambulance

Thursday, September 11, 2003

A Sturkie man arrested for fleeing from authorities and handcuffed to a gurney attacked a paramedic while being transported to Fulton County Hospital Sept. 6.

Officers received a tip that a motorist was driving erratically in a Ford Escort on Highway 62/412 heading west toward Salem. Arkansas State Police Cpl. Buck Foley requested assistance from the Fulton County Sheriff's Office to locate the suspect identified as Glenn Galbraith, 41.

Galbraith's vehicle was located near Dairy Queen by 16th Judicial Drug Task Force Agent Billy Baker, according to Fulton County Chief Deputy Carrol Traw.

Baker was traveling in an unmarked vehicle so he activated his blue lights in an attempt to stop the suspect, but Galbraith fled, Baker said.

The suspect continued traveling west through Salem driving left of the center line and running off the shoulder at speeds of 40 to 65 mph, Traw reported.

Galbraith then turned north on Sturkie Road, west of Salem. Traw said Galbraith ran four oncoming motorists off the road. Baker said the suspect also attempted to hit a white Chevrolet Avalanche head-on.

Galbraith slammed on his brakes three times trying to cause pursuing vehicles to crash, Traw said.

Deputy Brad Schaufler used a police intervention technique to stop the pursuit because of the suspect's disregard for life and property, Baker said. Schaufler pushed the suspect's vehicle off the road and it struck a ditch embankment and stalled due to the impact, which caused the fuel shut-off to trip, Baker said.

While Galbraith was attempting to restart his car Baker and Schaufler placed him into custody. Baker said Galbraith was combatant and continued to try to flee but authorities maintained control of him.

While Fulton County Ambulance Service emergency personnel were attempting to treat head wounds Galbraith received after he hit the windshield he became aggressive and verbally abusive and kicked Scott Moody, director of EMS, in the head.

Moody said Galbraith was handcuffed but did not have on leg irons so his movement was not completely restricted.

Moody's injuries consisted of bruising, swelling, soreness and a headache.

Galbraith made personal threats to police and medical personnel stating, "I know where you live and will come get you when I get out of jail," Baker said.

Galbraith was treated but refused to submit to a blood alcohol test, Baker said. After he was released he was transferred to the Fulton County jail.

Charges were filed Sept. 8 on the following counts: battery in the second degree, a class D felony; felony fleeing, a class D felony; driving while intoxicated fourth offense, a class D felony; aggravated assault, a class D felony; and terroristic threatening in the first-degree, a class D felony.

A court date has been scheduled for Sept. 26 on the felony charges.

Parole Officer Gary Clayton said Galbraith is on parole for two counts of possession of a controlled substance, marijuana, on charges in Maryland. Clayton said he will contact Maryland authorities to determine if Galbraith will be extradited to Maryland for parole violations. No bond has been set for the charges.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: