THAYER -- The history and memories of a rural Oregon County home that has touched the lives of many now rests at Sherwood Park in Thayer due to the efforts of a Thayer woman.
In 1982 Hervel and Mildred Cornelius bought land with an older home on it from Elmer Russell. The couple was going to build a new home at the location and decided to tear the old home down. It was then that Mildred noticed the center of the old house was a log cabin. Being a history buff, Mildred had workers save the cabin, putting it in her back yard in Thayer.
The history of the log cabin is colorful, as many rural homes of the 1800s are. In December 1875 Nathan A. Trobaugh married Martha Frances Ramsey. In 1879 they moved with their 2-year-old daughter and Martha's family via wagon train to Oregon County, two miles west of Thayer on Highway W. It was here the one-room cabin was built by Nathan Trobaugh. Later a kitchen was built on to the north portion of the cabin but was not part of the log structure. This is where the Trobaughs lived, farmed for a living and raised their family.
History shows that throughout the family's lives in the cabin they must have had some financial problems or needed to buy something to help their children because they mortgaged the property twice. The first time in November 1908 was for $55, a great deal of money in the early 1900s.
In 1911 the couple sold seven and one-half acres for $75 to their son Henry and he started his family. In 1913 the Trobaughs took out another mortgage for $200. History shows this mortgage was to buy back the property from their son. Henry remained in the area and raised a family.
Nathan A. Trobaugh passed away in 1915 and Martha died in 1927. In February 1927 all the brothers and sisters got together and sold the home place to William R. Trobaugh for $1.
He then turned around and sold it for $500 in April 1927 to Andrew J. Huffman who then sold the place to N.C. Helt for $650.
The place later sold to Hade Mills for $650. Hade and Vest Mills lived there and eventually added on to the east side of the cabin, re-doing the kitchen and the living area. The log cabin was then used as a bedroom. The whole cabin was covered on the outside in weatherboard. The cabin was old several more times through the years. In 1980 Myrtle Cravens sold the home to Elmer Russell.
Two or three years after the Corneliuses purchased the cabinn, Mildred approached the Thayer Chamber of Commerce asking them if they would like to have the cabin at Sherwood Park. This is now where the cabin rests, full of over 127 years of memories and life.
There is much history in this cabin and other such cabins that dotted the Ozark hillsides in the 1700s and 1800s. They were the homes of many pioneers who helped build and shape the Ozarks, making it what it is today.