[Nameplate] Fair ~ 43°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 61°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Sewage questions answered

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jan Thompson

Staff Writer

OREGON COUNTY -- There have been many questions regarding the sewage laws in Oregon County. Many area residents do not know the rules and regulations regarding on-site sewage systems.

According to Julie Crowell, environmental public health specialist with the Oregon County Health Department, "All businesses, churches, mobile home parks, etc., are required to obtain a permit to install an on-site sewage system from the health department," Crowell said.

She said any single family residence on less than three acres are required to get a permit before constructing an on-site sewage system or doing renovation to an existing system. "If a homeowner has more than three acres, but wants to add a second residence, the health department needs to be contacted regarding options. Any single family home on more than three acres is exempt, provided all points of the system are more than 10 feet from the property line and no effluent leaves the property," she said.

Crowell said sewage permits can be obtained from the health department at the Alton and Thayer offices. "The permit fee is $90. This gives the property owner a site evaluation and final inspection to ensure the contractor has installed the system according to Missouri state laws regulating on-site sewage systems," she said.

Crowell said there is a penalty for not obtaining a sewage permit. "The homeowner/business will be charged with a class A or class C misdemeanor and will be required to get a permit," she said.

She said a whole new system may be required. "The contractor who installed the illegal system will be prosecuted and required to post a $5,000 bond before doing anymore sewage work," Crowell said.

For more information call Crowell at the Oregon County Health Department at Alton at 417-778-7450.


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: