[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 35°F  
High: 50°F ~ Low: 43°F
Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015

Attic fire chars church office

Thursday, January 24, 2002

A blaze damaged a building used for administrative offices for First Baptist Church of Salem Jan. 18. The bulk of the fire was at the back side of the structure and in the attic.According to Salem Fire Chief Heath Everett, 3,000 gallons of water were used to put out the blaze. He said the cause of the fire might have been heater malfunction with the origin of the fire at the east side of the hall.

David Keck, Fulton County's 9-1-1 coordinator, said about one-third of the structure received actual damage from the flames but smoke damage was throughout the church.

"We were lucky we got it out," Keck said. He explained that once flames are in an attic a fire is hard to contain because of the accessibility factor. He said in most attics firemen are on their hands and knees.

The church building nearby was not damaged in the blaze.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.