[Nameplate] Fair ~ 45°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 49°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Boldly Going Nowhere

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Ghost of Vince Foster

Vince Foster was born in Hope, Ark., and had been a childhood friend of Bill Clinton. Later, he worked at the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock with Hillary Clinton. When Bill Clinton became president of the United States, Foster became White House deputy council and overseer of various Clinton legal entanglements.

On July 23, 1993, six months after Bill Clinton became president, Vince Foster told his secretary he would be right back and walked out of his office. Foster's sister and her daughter were to arrive from Little Rock later that day, and the three of them were planning to tour the White House. That was the last time Foster was seen alive.

Several hours later, Foster was found dead in Fort Mercy Park just outside of Washington, D.C., in a Virginia suburb. In spite of countless suspicious circumstances, the death was subsequently ruled a suicide.

Those who ruled it a suicide would have you believe that Vince Foster drove to a park he had never been known to visit, parked his car, hiked several hundred yards from the parking lot (without a trace of park dirt on his shoes), sat down on the damp ground (there was dew on the ground at the time of death), put a revolver in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Why not just kill himself in his car or sitting on a park bench or in his own home?

Even though Foster supposedly placed the barrel of the gun in his mouth, there was a lack of blood at the scene, no skull fragments and no fingerprints on the gun. There was a trickle of blood from the mouth and nose, but one of the trickles appeared to have flowed upward, suggesting the body had been moved prior to discovery. Gunshot residue was found on Foster's palm, not the back of the hand which would have been consistent with the body positioning. Perhaps it was on the palm because he was trying to repel an attacker.

The U.S. Park Police had legal jurisdiction of the case. Before they could arrive to seal Vince Foster's office for evidence, Margaret Williams (Hillary Clinton's chief of staff) carried several boxes of papers out of Foster's office. Bernard Nussbaum was also seen searching Foster's office. When the Park Police arrived, Nussbaum showed them Foster's briefcase, opening and upending it to demonstrate it was empty.

This is the same briefcase where Foster's supposed suicide note turned up, three days later, torn into 28 pieces with one piece missing, completely void of fingerprints and containing no signature. It read as follows:

I made mistakes from ignorance, inexperience and overwork. I did not knowingly violate any law or standard of conduct. No one in The White House, to my knowledge, violated any law or standard of conduct, including any action in the travel office. There was no intent to benefit any individual or specific group. The FBI lied in their report to the AG. The press is covering up the illegal benefits they received from the travel staff. The GOP has lied and misrepresented its knowledge and role and covered up a prior investigation. The Ushers Office plotted to have excessive costs incurred, taking advantage of Kaki and HRC. The public will never believe the innocence of the Clintons and their loyal staff. The WSJ editors lie without consequence. I was not meant for the job or the spotlight of public life in Washington. Here ruining people is considered sport.

It doesn't exactly read like a suicide note. Furthermore, it was declared to be a forgery by three of the world's leading handwriting experts: Professor Reginald Alton (manuscript authenticator), Ronald Rice (chief handwriting expert for the American Board of Forensic Examiners) and Vincent Scalice (certified handwriting examiner).

There are many other disturbing inconsistencies that seem to suggest foul play, far too numerous to list here.

With so much contradictory evidence, one would expect his longtime friend and boss, the president of the United States, to insist upon further investigation, but Bill Clinton quickly concluded it was a suicide. On July 21, the very next day after the "suicide," Clinton retained David Kendall, a prominent criminal attorney.

The ghost of Vince Foster does not haunt Fort Mercy Park -- it haunts a nation that believes in justice.

* * *

Bret Burquest is an award-winning columnist and author of four novels, which are available at Amazon.com. He can be contacted at bret@centurytel.net.