[Nameplate] A Few Clouds ~ 66°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 49°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Earthquake hits home

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jan Thompson

Staff Writer

Two Thayer, Mo., women had an experience they will never forget last week. They were awakened by an earthquake.

Teah Barton and Melissa Thornton were awakened at 4:37 a.m. April 18 by an earthquake in Maryland Heights, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. Barton, Thornton and Barton's 3-year-old son, Austin, were on their way to Illinois to watch some late model dirt track races April 19.

"We follow dirt track racing and decided to come up a few days early and do some shopping before going on to Illinois," Barton said.

She said they were staying at the Harrah's Hotel on the seventh floor.

"When I first woke up I thought Melissa was shaking the bed. As I became more awake I noticed the drapes on the long windows in our room swaying. That's when I thought, it's an earthquake" she said.

Barton said she called the front lobby, and the lady at the desk seemed very calm and told her it was nothing to worry about. "It was about that time I heard a lot of people out in the hall. We were afraid of aftershock or trimmers. We woke the baby up, took the stairwell and went outside," she said.

Barton said Harrah's is a huge hotel or actually two hotels combined with over 600 rooms.

She said not very many people came outside, and there was no damage to the hotel. "We did hear on the news that there was some bridge damage due to the earthquake in the town we were staying in," Barton said,

The center of the earthquake was over two hours away near Evansville, Ill.

The quake measured 5.2 on the Richter Scale according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"It scared us. We were afraid of aftershocks. It took us three hours before we could go back to sleep," Barton said.

According to Barton they did not feel any trimmers until 11 a.m. the next morning. They were measured at 4.5 on the Richter Scale.

"Apparently, there had been trimmers after the quake. I guess when we got back to sleep we were so tired we just didn't feel them," she said.

Barton said after the 11 a.m. trimmers they asked to be moved to a lower floor at the hotel and were moved to the second floor.

"Our thoughts were racing. We called home and no one there said they felt anything but the news said it was felt in Cape Girardeau," Barton said.

Yes, the trio went on to the races and reported having a good time.

The people from Thayer were not the only ones to feel the earthquake. Carol Statton who lives in an underground house between Horseshoe Bend and Wiseman, Ark., also felt the quake.

"My little dog was making a racket, and I sat up to check on her. Shortly after, the house felt like it was rolling, and the pictures shook," she said.

Statton said this occurred around 4:32 a.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: