[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 59°F  
High: 73°F ~ Low: 62°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Man arrested for breaking into vending machine

Thursday, November 20, 2003

Staff Writer

A Union man was arrested Oct. 30 after he broke into a vending machine at the Salem Laundromat.

Salem Police Chief Albert Roork said the owner, Debbie Fountain, reported that coupons had been illegally redeemed by someone who had played a vending machine in the laundromat similar to a slot machine.

Money is placed in the machine and if the player wins he receives coupons which can be redeemed for merchandise at the Salem Fuel Center, also owned by Fountain.

Fountain told Roork that the winning tickets have track marks on the back that the machine stamps on them but the ones redeemed by Troy Michael Knox, 23, did not contain the track marks.

Roork questioned Knox Oct. 30 and he admitted that he had found a way to get inside the machine to steal the coupons, the chief said.

Approximately $100 in coupons had been redeemed, Roork said.

Knox was charged with breaking and entering and theft. He was transported to the Fulton County jail but released after posting bond in the amount of $2,000.

Three were arrested after allegedly breaking into a mobile home Oct. 28 at Woodlawn Trailer Park on Highway 9 South in Salem.

Owners Phillip and Sandy Olson reported to the Salem Police Department that a trailer had been broken into and items were stolen from family members who had recently moved.

Olson's stepson, Robert Thiemer, and his wife, Angie, had been storing some of their household goods in the vacant trailer.

17-year-old Jimmy Hale Jr., Amanda Camden, 22, and Adam Stephens, 23, were arrested in connection with the incident.

The three had rented a trailer next to the vacant trailer that had been broken into.

Roork said Camden, Stephens and Hale had been living in the trailer illegally after paying a $100 deposit. They were supposed to pay the remaining deposit at a later date before they moved it, but the owners never received the additional money, Roork said.

Forced entry was gained through the back door.

Among the items missing were a computer, scanner, toys and clothes with a value estimated at $1,000.

The three have been charged with breaking and entering and theft of property.

All three were released the same day after posting bond in the amount of $2,000.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: