[Nameplate] Fair ~ 71°F  
High: 91°F ~ Low: 73°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

IRS: We owe Arkansans money

Thursday, December 2, 2004

The Internal Revenue Service is looking for more than 600 Arkansans whose federal income tax refund checks totaling almost $424,000 were returned to the IRS as undeliverable by the Postal Service. Nationwide, 87,485 undeliverable refund checks totaling over $73 million wait to be claimed.

The refund checks are mostly from 2003 individual income tax returns and, in Arkansas, they range in amount from $1 to more than $71,000. The average check amount is about $648.

"This is not the government's money," said IRS spokesman David Stell. "The money belongs to the taxpayers who originally claimed those refunds. We want to get that money back into their hands just as soon as possible."

Tracking down an undelivered refund check is easy. Taxpayers with Internet access may visit the IRS web site, www.irs.gov, and click on "Where's My Refund?" Entering three basic pieces of information -- Social Security Number, filing status, and the expected refund amount as shown on the 2003 federal income tax return -- starts the simple and secure process.

Taxpayers without Internet access who think they are missing a refund check may call the IRS toll-free at (800) TAX-1040 for assistance.

Stell said though every year there are thousands of undeliverable refunds, the total is small compared to the total number of refunds issued by the IRS. This past tax filing season, more than 100 million federal income tax refunds for 2003, totaling more than $208 billion, were issued to taxpayers nationwide -- 49 million of which were directly deposited into personal checking or savings accounts. Direct deposit also guards against theft or loss of refund checks. The option is available for both paper and electronically filed returns.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: