Born 6-17-1915 -- Died 1-3-2006
Don Taylor Norris, 90, of Poughkeepsie died Jan. 3, 2006, at White River Medical Center in Batesville, Ark.
He was born June 17, 1915, at Poughkeepsie, the son of the late George and Tishie Taylor Norris.
He was a veteran of the United States Army, a carpenter by trade and was retired from Continental Steel Corp. in Kokomo, Ind.
For most of his life he was an active member of a Baptist Church.
He was a charter member of the First Landmark Missionary Baptist Church of Kokomo, and was a member of Little Springs Missionary Baptist Church of Poughkeepsie before moving to Kokomo and since his retirement. He served as a deacon and song leader in both churches and taught various Sunday school classes.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Imogene Bettis Norris; one daughter, Sandra Smead, and husband, Ronald, of Kingsland, Ark.; one son, Nathan Norris and wife, Kay Candlish Norris, of Judsonia; one brother, Simon Norris of Kokomo; grandchildren, Donis Smead of Glenwood, Stephanie Norris Wade of Batesville, Leann Smead Smith of Newport, Jonathan Norris of Batesville, Renee Smead McKelvin of Camden, and Captain Smead of New Edinburg; 15 great-grandchildren; three nephews; one niece and numerous friends and relatives.
He was preceded in death by his parents, George and Tishie Taylor Norris; two infant brothers; two infant sisters; a brother, Otho Norris and a sister, Audra Richardson.
The funeral service was held Jan. 4 at Little Springs Missionary Baptist Church at Poughkeepsie with Bro. W.E. Norris and Bro. Donis Smead officiating.
Burial followed at the Spotts Cemetery at Poughkeepsie with arrangements under the direction of Qualls Funeral Home of Cave City, Ark.
Pallbearers were Donis Smead, Captain Smead, Dewayne Smith, Mike McKelvin, Tom Norris and Dean Parsley.
Honorary pallbearers were the men of Little Springs Missionary Baptist Church.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made to the Little Springs Missionary Baptist Church of Poughkeepsie or the Spotts Cemetery Association at the Bank of Cave City.