Come election time next year, Oregon County voters need to know there are some changes in the works.
Oregon County Circuit Clerk Gary Hensley and workers in his office last week mailed out nearly 7,000 new pink voter registration cards.
"Voters need to replace their old green cards with the new pink ones," Hensley said. He said some voting precincts in the county have changed and if a voter's precinct has changed, the location change will be on the left side of the card under Voting Location.
Hensley said because of economics and federal handicapped accessible laws, several polling places in the county have been combined.
"We have gone from 15 polling places to 11," Hensley said. These new polling places will be in place starting with the Missouri Presidential Primary Feb. 5.
The new polling places and their locations are:
* Cedar Bluff and Myrtle, Myrtle Senior Citizens Center.
* Big Apple, Koshkonong City Hall.
* Cough and Jeff, Pleasant Hill Church located on EE Highway.
* Highland, Shiloh Baptist Church located on M Highway at Rover.
* Jobe-Billmoore, Cotton Creek Church located on KK Highway.
* Johnson-Ozark, BB Community Center located off Highway 160 on County Road 225.
* King and Woodside, basement of the courthouse at Alton.
* Moore Blackpond, Thomasville Community Center.
* Piney 1 and Piney 1 South, Alton Assembly of God located on Vine Street.
* Piney 2 and Piney 2 North, VFW building at Alton.
* Thayer 1 and Thayer 2, Thayer Church of Christ located at Highways 142 and 63.
"We will go from having and paying 64 election judges to 48 judges which will be a considerable saving to the county," Hensley said.
"The county has also received funds from Help Americans Vote Act (HAVA) in the amount of $15,000.
Funds from a federal bill passed in 2002 that was handed down to the states by the federal government and the state distributes it to the counties.
"We used our funds to buy some election equipment and to make seven polling places handicapped accessible," Hensley said.
He said the polling places that have been made handicapped assessable are:
*Myrtle Senior Citizen Center
* Koshkonong City Hall
* Shiloh Baptist Church
* Alton VFW
"We have also purchased 12 new voting signs that will be displayed at all the polling places election day. This will be done in an effort to help show people where the new polling places are and hopefully get more people out to vote," Hensley said.
Hensley said anyone with any question about their voter registration card or their polling place should call his office at 417-778-7475.