[Nameplate] Fair ~ 43°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 61°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Fire claims life

Thursday, January 25, 2007

DEADLY FIRE: Daisy Lucille Thompson, 89, died when her home, located at 415 South 10th Street in Mammoth Spring, burned Jan. 19. Photo/Sisk Lawrence
MAMMOTH SPRING -- A Mammoth Spring woman died in a house fire early Jan. 19.

Mammoth Spring Police Chief Michael Davis received a call at 3:37 a.m. Jan. 19 that a house was on fire at 415 South 10th Street in the city. Davis said he and officer Jamie Turnbough, as well as the Mammoth Spring Fire Department, responded to the call.

Turnbough said when he arrived at the fire he found the burned body of Daisy Lucille Thompson, 89, in the front yard.

The victim's son, Freddie Thompson, lives next door to his mother and identified the body as that of his mother.

Thompson said his neighbor, Susan Swartz, called him to tell him his mother's house was on fire. He said when he arrived at his mother's house they located the elderly Thompson on the front porch. He said he then carried his mother to the yard.

Chief Davis said it is believed that the fire started near a wood burning stove in the home and no foul play is suspected. He said he believes the woman died from smoke inhalation and burns.

Thompson's body was transported to Carter's Funeral Home in Thayer.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: