[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 71°F  
High: 80°F ~ Low: 55°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Taylor charged with threatening alderman

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Highland police have charged a 20-year-old man with first degree terroristic threatening after he allegedly threatened a city alderman by phone.

Austin Taylor of Highland is charged with the class D felony charge and a class A misdemeanor charge of harassing communications.

Alderman Jeff Holden, 32, called Highland Police Officer Jeremy Stevens July 2 informing him that Taylor had called his cellular phone and threatened him, according to a police report prepared by Stevens.

Holden said the first call came in at 7:19 p.m. with Taylor threatening to beat him up and asking Holden to meet him at his driveway, the report said. Holden was visiting friends in town when he received the call. His friends also heard the threats when Holden put the call on speaker, the report said.

"Jeff advised me that he got tired of hearing the threats so he hung up the phone after three minutes," Stevens wrote.

When Holden left his friends' home, he received another phone call from Taylor when he drove by Taylor's parents' home, the report said.

"Jeff advised that Austin said he would send somebody after him and he (Taylor) wouldn't be in jail forever," Stevens wrote.

When Stevens and Holden met up, Stevens listened to a recording of Taylor making the threats, the report said. In one instance Holden asked Taylor if he was threatening his life; Taylor said yes, the report said. Stevens then told Holden to avoid all calls from Taylor.

The next day Stevens filled out an affidavit for Taylor's arrest which was then approved by District Prosecutor Joe Grider and signed by Sharp County District Court Judge Mark Johnson.

On the morning of July 4 Stevens and Trooper Ben Rapert of the Arkansas State Police went to Taylor's home, arrested Taylor and transported him to the Sharp County Jail the report said.

Taylor's mother told Stevens that a young man had threatened her family in January and nothing had been done, the report said. She said the report was taken by the Sharp County Sheriff's Office, the report said. Since that time, other problems have been reported by the Taylors and are being investigated by the city police department, the report said.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: