[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 60°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 50°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Purse stolen from parking lot; suspects arrested

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Betty Forehand got an unexpected surprise Aug. 20 when she returned to her car after shopping in Wal-Mart -- her purse had been stolen.

Ash Flat Officer Charles Yates responded to a call regarding a purse theft. Upon arrival Yates spoke with Forehand and viewed the store security video. The video showed two suspects, a white female and a white male, park their vehicle and enter the store. While the suspects were walking out of the store and through the parking lot, they passed by Forehand's vehicle pausing and looking inside and then returned to their own vehicle. On the video the white male, later identified as Douglas Stephens, returned to Forehand's truck and opened the driver side door, which was unlocked. The video shows Stephens remove the purse and return to his vehicle, and drove away.

When Ash Flat Police Chief Mike Zeiger looked at the still photos from the security video he recognized the female as Bobbie Owens.

According to Zeiger, Owens and Stephens were involved in a previous theft which also occurred in the Wal-Mart parking lot in May. James Thompson reported $4 and a pack of cigarettes missing from the front seat of his truck when he returned from shopping.

After investigating Owens' whereabouts, Zeiger learned she would be entering Ash Flat from Cherokee Village. He waited for Owens to enter his jurisdiction and made a traffic stop at the Citgo Flash Market in Ash Flat where he placed Owens under arrest.

When Zeiger approached the passenger side of the vehicle he recognized the passenger as Stephens. Stephens was wearing the same ball cap as in the security footage from Wal-Mart. Stephens was also arrested.

Owens and Stephens were each charged with one count breaking or entering, a Class D felony, and one count theft of property, a Class A misdemeanor.

In a separate incident, Ash Flat Police Officer Braden Ables responded to a report of an intoxicated person causing problems and refusing to leave. While in route to the scene, Ables received a second call reporting an altercation.

According to the report, when the officer arrived two males and two females were standing in the middle of the road. The two males, identified as Corey Clouse and Jay Griffin, had been in a fight and Griffin had several cuts and was bleeding from his face. Clouse was very belligerent and intoxicated, Ables reported.

Ables placed Clouse under arrest and put him in the police car. Clouse then moved his cuffed hands to the front of his body causing Ables to remove the cuffs and with the assistance of Officer Lane of Cherokee Village, recuff him. Clouse continued his belligerent behavior, banging his head on the window. Ables then applied leg restraints.

"You have messed with the wrong dude," Clouse told the officer.

Clouse was transported to the Sharp County Sheriff's Office. According to the report while being booked Clouse would not comply and became defensive causing Officer Woods to dry stun Clouse with a taser.

Ables dispatched Ash Flat Fire Department first responders to check Griffin's wounds. Griffin was taken by personal vehicle to Fulton County Hospital for his injuries.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: