[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 71°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 53°F
Monday, Sep. 26, 2016

Fulton County residents can still file for stimulus

Thursday, September 4, 2008

More than 70,000 Arkansans have yet to claim their economic stimulus checks and Rep. Marion Berry is encouraging Arkansans to file a tax return before the deadline, even if they don't normally file a return.

Everyone must file a 2007 tax return by Oct. 15 in order to receive the rebate check. Individuals can receive up to $600 per individual, $1,200 per married couple and an additional $300 for each child.

"With the cost of everything from gas to health care rising faster than wages, every dollar helps," Berry said. "We must ensure that hardworking families, seniors and veterans receive the payment that is intended for them."

According to the Internal Revenue Service, Arkansas has a total of $21,039,600 in total unclaimed payments. Sharp County has an estimated 750 to 2,699 residents remaining to file for payments while Fulton and Izard counties both have an estimated 750 people who have yet to file for their rebate check.

While most Americans automatically received their rebate check as a result of having filed a 2007 federal tax return, millions of low-income workers, Social Security beneficiaries and disabled veterans and their widows who normally do not file a federal return, must submit a Special Form 1040A to the IRS to receive their checks.

Congress enacted the Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 in February. The package included $100 billion in direct financial relief for millions of Americans, including seniors, veterans and low-income individuals.

A list of local IRS assistance centers is available on the Web at www.irs.gov/localcontacts/-index.html or individuals can call the toll-free Rebate Hotline at 866-234-2942. Also, individuals with additional questions can call Congressman Berry's office at 800-866-2701.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: