[Nameplate] Light Rain ~ 61°F  
High: 73°F ~ Low: 55°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Stark charged in girlfriend's death

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Minus his usual long hair, Farrel A. Stark, 43, of Hardy, makes his way to the Fulton County Courthouse Sept. 8. Stark has been charged with first degree murder in the death of Theresa Kosik of Hardy. Photo by Emily McIntosh
Things weren't quite right when Deputy Coroner Doug Wortham of Heath Funeral Home Oak Hill Chapel in Hardy started receiving phone calls asking when funeral services would be held for a woman who, as far as he knew, was still alive.

Wortham said he called Hardy Police Chief Ernie Rose to find out what was going on.

Rose decided to conduct a welfare check Sept. 2 on Theresa M. Kosik, 42, of Hardy, who hadn't been seen in several days.

Rumors began when Farrel Ace Stark, 43, of Hardy, Kosik's boyfriend, went into Price Chopper in Hardy. Several people in the store who knew the couple, asked how Kosik was doing. Stark said she was dead.

According to the affidavit of probable cause for arrest, "Upon arrival Rose found no one at the residence. However, shortly after his arrival, Rose was contacted by Stark."

Stark told Rose that Kosik had passed away. According to Fulton County Sheriff Walter Dillinger, Stark told Rose that he and Kosik had been drinking heavily on Friday, Aug. 29. Kosik passed out and Stark couldn't wake her up. He then took her to Fulton County Hospital where, according to Stark, she was pronounced dead.

Dillinger said he contacted the hospital and the coroner to confirm Stark's story. However, both said they did not have a case like that come in.

Rose also contacted funeral homes in the Sharp County area in an attempt to confirm Stark's story.

After talking to Dillinger, Rose went back to Stark to question him further as to Kosik's whereabouts.

Rose said he told Stark his story did not check out.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of this and you know it," Rose told Stark. "You need to tell me where Theresa is."

Stark then, reportedly, told Rose, "I killed her."

Fulton County Deputy Jeremy Rose, read Stark his Miranda rights and questioned him about Kosik's whereabouts. Stark said Kosik was in the house and that he had shot her, according to Rose.

Stark was placed under arrest and transported to the Fulton County Jail.

Chief Rose said that Deputy Jeremy Rose secured the crime scene and Todd Shaw, an Arkansas State Police investigator, was notified.

Authorities entered the house, located at 57 East Stone Creek Drive, three miles inside Fulton County, and found Kosik's body sitting in a chair.

The affidavit states that Stark said, "He had shot Kosik three times in the head with a .22 caliber rifle" on Aug. 29. Kosik's body had been inside the residence for five days before police found her.

"There was an odor coming from the house," Rose said.

Apparently, according to Dillinger, Kosik's family had called to talk to her during the weekend. When Stark answered, he said Kosik had died from a heart attack.

The couple had lived together for about two years according to Rose. Rose said the couple were not legally married but claimed they had performed a private wedding ceremony themselves.

Kosik had been partially paralyzed since she was 12, Rose said.

According to family members, when she lived in Florida, she stepped in front of a car and was paralyzed from the waist down. Shortly after that incident, Kosik had a stroke and had walked with a limp ever since. Kosik moved to Arkansas about 17 years ago.

"She (Kosik) dealt with (her condition) real good," Alta Carrol of Highland Hills Baptist Church and Kosik's friend said. "She walked everywhere."

"She was a very sweet person," Carrol said. "She was a blessing to me."

Carrol and people from other area churches helped Kosik furbish and refinish her house. "She was thankful for all that she had, which was nothing," Carrol said.

According to Rose, this isn't the first time the city has had problems with Stark. "This wasn't this guy's first rodeo," Rose said. "The first time he was here, we arrested him for rape. Then, we had to let him go because the victim dropped charges." Stark was previously charged with terroristic threatening and drunken conduct.

Rose said he had told Stark to get out of town on several occasions because he had no or very poor living arrangements. "But he kept coming back," Rose said.

Stark is charged with first degree murder. He was arraigned Sept. 8 in the Fulton County Circuit Court. The court will review his case Nov. 24.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on areawidenews.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

I was lied upon.The stories you have read are fiction.People make stories up in order to increase newspaper sales and or to boost their public status.This was a case of self defense against against a diagnosed mentally ill person(in the dark).I was told Arkansas has no self defense laws and was scared into signing a plea of second degree murder.The FACT is I was covered under "The castle Doctrine" which is Arkansas self defense law.Another fact is I will never be the same after valuing my life over another. In Christ JESUS , Farrel Stark

-- Posted by Farrel on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 4:24 AM

I knew Theresa, we were childhood friends until she had her accident at 12 years of age in South Miami Heights; a suburb of Miami, FL. She was a kind girl who would never hurt a fly. sad to say we lost touch after her accident. I walked up to her after she was able to start walking again at her the home she lived in growing up on SW 187 Terr and 115 Ave and said hi, she was so scared that she didn't recognize me that she ran into her home. That event saddened me so much we never spoke again. But this has saddened me even worse, to kill an innocent person who needed help the way she did is an act of cowardliness. You are a full grown man and to say that you acted in self defense against a individual who was in her condition and didn't have the strength of a fully functional individual makes you a piece of S***! I hope your death is 10 folds worse!

-- Posted by ozziegomez20 on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 6:08 AM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: