[Nameplate] Fair ~ 43°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 55°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Fate of remains unknown

Friday, October 3, 2008

THAYER -- The Thayer City Council met in a called meeting Sept. 23 at city hall.

Mayor Merle Williams was not present because he was out of town picking up a part for city equipment.

The council voted unanimously to accept a bid from Bishop Construction from Marion, Mo., to do improvement work at the airport. The bid was for $66,900. The city recently received a grant from MoDOT for the airport work.

Some of the improvements that will be made include removing and resetting the threshold lights, painting both the airport's white and yellow runway markings, crack and joint sealing of the runway, pavement friction seal coat surface treatment and pavement marking removal.

Police Chief David Bailey was at the meeting and updated the council on the skeletal remains found near the Warm Fork River. He said he had been in touch with Dr. Andrea Hunter, an archeologist for the Indian Tribal Council in Missouri and there had been a vote by the four member tribal council on whether to leave the remains here or take them to Saline County, Mo., where there is already an Indian burial ground. Bailey reported the council had a split vote on the action and said that Hunter had told him the council chief would have to break the vote.

The city is waiting to see what they decide. At this time, some of the remains are still at the Thayer Police Station and some are where they were originally discovered along the river.

In other city business, the council voted to have city employees fill out a purchase order when purchasing an item for the city over the amount of $10. The order would have to be approved by the council or the mayor.

The council commended the police chief and his department on cutting back on gas costs last month. City Clerk Jane Yancy said several city departments had also done the same thing.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: