[Nameplate] Fair ~ 76°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 61°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Colts stop Cavemen

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The stakes were clear on homecoming night in Wilson Oct. 17.

Win and keep your chances at a playoff berth alive.

Lose and see those chances damaged big-time.

And on this night, the homestanding Rivercrest Colts not only kept their playoff chances alive, they also were able to have a happy homecoming with a 47-19 win over the visiting Cave City Cavemen.

Cave City was within eight points, down 27-19, late in the third quarter before the Colts put the game away with 20 straight points.

Rivercrest got on the board first at the 8:21 mark of the first quarter on a 15-yard TD pass from Josh Fleming to T.J. Gordon.

The Colts upped that lead to 14-0 early in the second quarter on an option pass from Demoine Brown to Gordon that covered 33 yards and scored a touchdown.

With 5:41 left until the half, Terrence Banks ran in from two yards out to build Rivercrest's advantage to 20-0.

Cave City got on the scoreboard with 16 ticks left until intermission on a 10-yard TD blast from fullback Jeremy Johnson. The PAT was no good, leaving the Cavemen in a 20-6 hole at the half.

Early in the third quarter on the Colts' first series of the second half, William Boyd forced a fumble that Brayden Crabtree recovered for Cave City.

A couple of plays later, Tyler Engleman cashed that gift in with a 16 yard touchdown run. Boyd's extra-point pulled the Cavemen within seven, 20-13.

But Rivercrest struck back at the 8:32 mark of the third on a 13-yard TD pass from Brown to J.T. Pierce, pushing the Colts in front 27-13.

Cave City's last points came via a good play on special teams.

Rivercrest was forced to punt on fourth down and the snap went over Fleming's head and Cave City took over on the Colt 1-yard line.

Cave City quarterback Dalton Carpenter ran the ball in to edge Cave City within eight points.

But then Rivercrest sealed the deal with three unanswered touchdowns, the first coming on a 30-yard touchdown pass from Brown to Gordon with 2:41 left in the third, giving the Colts a 34-19 lead after three.

In the fourth, Brown scored on an 8-yard run and Trevor Gregory cross the goal line from 10 yards out to finish off Rivercrest's 47-19 victory.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: