[Nameplate] Fair ~ 47°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 54°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Cave City returns home, finds Hornets nest

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Cave City Cavemen finally had the luxury of playing in their home stadium Oct. 24, after three weeks on the road.

What was not a luxury, however, was Cave City's opponent -- the 3-3A leading Harrisburg Hornets.

And the Hornets kept their spot at the top of the conference rankings with a 38-21 victory over the Cavemen.

The Cavemen (3-5, 1-4) did put a scare into the Hornets (8-0, 5-0) by rallying to pull within three points in the third quarter, after Harrisburg had rattled off three unanswered touchdowns in the first half of play.

But the Hornets managed to gather themselves and score two second-half touchdowns to post the victory.

Harrisburg opened the game with an onsides kick attempt, but Joseph Curtis recovered the football for Cave City and this led to the first score of the night for the home team.

Dalton Carpenter hit Paden Day for a nice gain on Cave City's first series, followed by an 11-yard run from Nick Pierson and a 10-yard burst by Tyler Engleman. And it was Engleman that finished things off on the drive with a 4-yard TD run on first-and-goal at the 8:20 mark. William Boyd kicked the PAT to give Cave City a 7-0 lead.

Then, the Hornets got busy.

Blake Sanders capped an 80-yard Harrisburg drive with a touchdown on first-and-goal to get the Hornets on the board. Harrisburg quarterback Zac Davis hit Will Bornhoft on the 2-point conversion pass and the Hornets took an 8-7 lead, a lead they would not give up.

Cave City turned the ball over on downs near midfield on its next possession and the Hornets got a 35-yard TD pass from Davis to Jake Streeter to move on top 16-7 with 1:10 left in the first quarter.

Cave City's next series turned out to be costly for the Cavemen.

A Cave City fumble was recovered by Harrisburg's Mason Costner and he carried the football all the way to the Caveman 5-yard line.

Two snaps into the second quarter and Harrisburg extended its lead on a 1-yard touchdown run from Sanders. The 2-point conversion gave the Hornets a big 24-7 lead less than a minute into the frame.

But Cave City got a big lift from its special teams.

Alan Wright bullied his way through the Hornet line to block a punt and the Cavemen fell on the ball at the Harrisburg 35 with 8:30 left in the half.

Cave City cashed in this good play by getting a 2-yard TD run from Engleman with 3:18 showing on the second-quarter clock. Boyd's extra-point sent the squads to intermission with Cave City trailing by 10, 24-14.

And Cave City wasn't done with its comeback attempt.

After forcing Harrisburg to punt on the Hornets' first series of the second half, the Cavemen edged closer with a 10-yard TD carry from Pierson. Boyd's PAT pulled Cave City within three, 24-21.

But Harrisburg answered Cave City's rally by putting the game away with a pair of scores.

With 1:13 left in the third, Davis fired a 29-yard TD strike to Kevin Harkey that built Harrisburg's advantage to 30-21 after three.

Then Davis capped the scoring in the fourth with a 5-yard touchdown toss to Sanders.

Davis found Streeter for the 2-point conversion pass to set the final score of Harrisburg 38, Cave City 21.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: