[Nameplate] Fair ~ 41°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 55°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Newport edges past Rebs on charity tosses

Thursday, January 22, 2009

So close.

The Highland Rebels had their first best chance to win a game, but when two winless teams are desperate for a victory, the advantage goes to the home team.

As a result, Newport picked up its first win of the season on Jan. 16, beating Highland 49-47 on two free throws by Artez Brown with two seconds left on the clock.

On Jan. 12, the Rebs travelled to Gosnell, losing 63-33.

Against Newport, Highland tied the score at 45-all with five minutes left in the game. It took the Rebels another two-and-a-half minutes to take the lead when Josh Honey missed the front end of a one-and-one and Justin Bryant rebounded the ball to give Kenny Nicholson a chance for the bucket.

Rebel Head Coach Chad Arnhart, finally having a chance to coach at the end of a ballgame, called a timeout to set up the stall in an effort to preserve the win.

Nicholson went to the line with a just over a minute left in the game, but missed the initial one-and-one opportunity.

Once again, Highland got the rebound with Brad Harris coming up with the ball, but was not able to score.

Newport, struggling to make baskets, couldn't score at its end, either.

Once again, Nicholson had a chance to extend the lead, but missed his first free throw.

Brown went to the line for Newport with 46 seconds left, but missed both charity shots. Thamail Morgan got the rebound and scored to tie the game.

Harris had a chance to retake the lead but couldn't get his layup past Derek Robinson and didn't get the foul call either.

Brown drove the lane and enticed a foul from Landon Strobbe. This time he didn't miss his chance and sank both free throws.

The Rebels overcame seven turnovers to take the early 12-11 first quarter lead.

Nicholson opened the second with a 3-pointer, but Highland failed to score again for another six minutes. Newport went on a 10-0 run, but the Rebs finished the half with two free throws by Honey and a trey by Zac Hamilton to find themselves down only 23-20 at the half.

In another season oddity, Highland sent the Greyhounds to the line on their first six possessions of the third period. Strobbe picked up the initial foul. Hamilton suffered the next four to foul out of the game and Harris the final one.

Newport did little damage overall, going four-of-11 from the line.

Harris scored 10 of his 14 points in third quarter as the Rebels were down just 43-37 at the end of three.

Nicholson had 10 points for the Rebs followed by Donnie French with nine.

Gosnell had Highland down 25-14 at halftime and used a 20-9 third quarter to secure the win.

Harris led the Rebels with 13 points.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on areawidenews.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

No wins for the football team, and now no wins for the basketball team, and they are only a few games left. Sounds like to me their needs to be come coaching changes at Rebel Nation.

-- Posted by rebelman on Thu, Feb 5, 2009, at 10:40 AM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: