[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 51°F  
High: 69°F ~ Low: 51°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Stark sentenced to 20 years

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Farrel A. Stark of Hardy, pled guilty to second degree murder Feb. 17 and was sentenced to 20 years in the Arkansas Department of Corrections. He was charged with the killing of Theresa Kosik of Hardy. Photo by Emily McIntosh
Farrel A. Stark, 44, of Hardy, pled guilty to second degree murder Feb. 17.

Stark was charged with killing Theresa M. Kosik, 42, also of Hardy, on Sept. 2 when he was arrested after Hardy Police Chief Ernie Rose and Fulton County Deputy Jeremy Rose found Kosik's body in her residence.

The arrest stemmed from a welfare check Ernie Rose conducted on Kosik when people found out from Stark that she was dead. Stark had given various accounts on how Kosik died to people and the police who asked about her. However, no funeral arrangements had been made, and no hospitals or coroners had Kosik's body.

Ernie Rose questioned Stark further after he had found one of Stark's stories to be false. According to Ernie Rose, Stark had told him that he and Kosik got drunk on Aug. 29, and Kosik passed out and did not wake up. According to Ernie Rose, Stark said he drove Kosik to the Fulton County Hospital and she was pronounced dead. With the aid of Fulton County Sheriff Walter Dillinger, Ernie Rose found this information to be false.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of this and you know it," Ernie Rose told Stark. "You need to tell me where Theresa is."

According to Ernie Rose, Stark told him, "I killed her."

Kosik's body was found inside the residence sitting in a chair.

According to the affidavit, "(Stark) had shot Kosik three times in the head with a .22 caliber rifle."

Jeremy Rose read Stark his Miranda rights and arrested him. Stark had been held in custody in the Fulton County Jail until his trial.

Ernie Rose said Stark and Kosik had been together for about two years. Although they were not legally married, Ernie Rose said the couple performed their own wedding ceremony.

According to family and friends, Kosik was partially paralyzed since she was 12 when she stepped in front of a car while she and her family were living in Florida. In a statement Stark made in the courtroom before his trial, he said Kosik also was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and he said those who have loved ones who suffer from the disease should seek treatment immediately.

In a letter Stark wrote that Stark's sister circulated to area press, he wrote, "She (Kosik) was a wonderful person when stable, and she was stable most of the time."

Stark also wrote that he had loaded guns in the house. "Not knowing where the other gun was, I turned to her and reacted," Stark wrote.

"I would like to say I'm sorry to Theresa's family," Stark said before his trial. "She (Kosik) is in my heart and always in my heart. I'm sorry for any pain and suffering."

After Stark pled guilty to murdering Kosik, the Honorable Judge Tim Weaver asked if there were any family or friends of the victim in the courtroom to help decide what Stark's sentence should be. Prosecuting Attorney Dwayne Plumlee said he had tried to call Kosik's sister in Florida but was unsuccessful. With none of the victim's family or friends present, Weaver sentenced Stark to 20 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction.

Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on areawidenews.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

Farrel was never a "killer". He loved his girlfriend and people that knew them could see this. He has to live with what happened, and will never be able to block it from his memory.

The judicial system seems to have worked this time. He never denied what happened, just denied the way it was presented to the public.

-- Posted by Shelly on Fri, Feb 27, 2009, at 9:04 AM

Farrel is a very loving person.This was another alcohol related tragidy. He loved her very much!He lives with this everyday.

-- Posted by think4myself on Fri, Feb 27, 2009, at 9:28 AM

This is a very horrible thing to take another persons life.When a person is scared for their life because loaded guns are in the house and your life has just been threatened...

My sorrow for take a life shall be with me all of my days. Though it was dark in the house and only a narrow gap to escaped through,I valued my life over anothers! (The press and others lied about this case)

-- Posted by Farrel on Thu, Aug 13, 2015, at 6:13 AM

I knew Theresa, we were childhood friends until she had her accident at 12 years of age in South Miami Heights; a suburb of Miami, FL. She was a kind girl who would never hurt a fly. sad to say we lost touch after her accident. I walked up to her after she was able to start walking again at her home were she lived growing up on SW 187 Terr and 115 Ave and said hi, she was so scared that she didn't recognize me that she rushed into her home. That event saddened me so much we never spoke again. But this has saddened me even worse, to kill an innocent person who needed help the way she did is an act of cowardliness. You are a full grown man and to say that you acted in self defense against a individual who was in her condition and didn't have the strength of a fully functional individual makes you a piece of S***! I hope your death is 10 folds worse!

-- Posted by ozziegomez20 on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 6:13 AM

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: