OREGON COUNTY -- The 7th annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life of Oregon County Kick-off will be March 7 at the First Baptist Church Basement at Alton from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
"This year's kickoff will be a drop-in event. Teams will pick up team packets, survivor registration forms, luminary information and other items and information they may need," said event co-chair Debbie Strain.
There will be a Power Point presentation set up with pictures of past relays. This is the 25th year for the Relay for Life and because of that the teams will be geared toward the 1980s.
The date for this year's Relay has changed. It will be June 26-27 at the Thayer football field at 7 p.m.
"Some of the other changes are the Spirit Award which will be given to the team with the most points earned. Points will be given for attending the kick-off, attending team meetings, turning in registration forms on time and filling them out correctly, participating in the games and other activities the night of the Relay," Strain said.
Last year Oregon County raised $47,446. This total includes luminary sales, sponsors and team fundraisers. There were 18 teams involved last year.
The goal for this year is 25 teams earning a total of $65,000.
Other dates relating to the relay are:
* April 2 - A planning committee meeting at 5:30 p.m. and a team captains meeting at 6:30 p.m. both at the Bank of Thayer.
* May 7 - A planning committee meeting at 5:30 p.m. and a team captains meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the First Baptist Chuch at Alton.
* June 4 - Team captains meeting at 6:30 p.m., at the Thayer football field.
* June 22 - Bank Night at the Bank of Thayer. Time to be announced at a later date.
* June 23 - Survivor Reception at 6:30 p.m. at the Thayer Church of Christ Fellowship Hall.
* June 26 - 27 - the Oregon County Relay for Life at the Thayer football field at 7 p.m.
Each team is awarded either a gold, silver or bronze certificate.
The only Gold Team last year was the St. Paul United Methodist Church.
Silver Teams were: Camp Cure, Banking for a Cure, Sarah's Sisters, Simmons Bank and Actions for a Cure.
Bronze Teams were: Shiloh Baptist #1, Shiloh Baptist #2, Alton Elementary, Thayer City Hall, Clifton Crusaders, Courthouse Cancer Coalition, The Challengers and The Shakers.
For more information regarding the Relay for Life call Strain at 417-264-7734; event co-chair, Carrie Wynn at 417-264-7217; or team recruitment and team captain Betty Grooms at 417-264-7322.
Team registration deadline will be announced at a later date.