[Nameplate] Fair ~ 77°F  
High: 82°F ~ Low: 64°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Insurance topic of meeting

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Board members discussed insurance for both school property and students at the Mammoth Spring School District board meeting held June 8 at 7 p.m. in the Administrative Building.

According to Superintendent Ronald Taylor, the school's commercial vehicle insurance has a premium of $4,459 for the whole fleet. He said the cost is the same as it was last year.

Taylor said the total insurance value on the school's buildings and their contents is $10,438,189. The insurance also has blanket coverage, which is if one building is destroyed and it costs more than the insurance value to replace it, the insurance will cover up to $8.5 million.

The board agreed to go foward with the insurance for the next school year.

Students at Mammoth Spring Schools, pre-kindergarten through the 12th grade, have the option of getting on the school's insurance. Taylor said the insurance would cost the school $11.78 per student. "If you threw it (the cost of insurance) back on the parents and said, 'Buy it if you want it,' it would cost $34 per year," Taylor said. "That's a pretty good incentive. That way we've got every kid covered if they participate in any type of activity we have around here."

Taylor said all students who participate in school activities in general have to have some type of insurance.

"What we've ran into in the past is parents may be working someplace where they've got health insurance coverage (and then) get laid off. If their kid gets injured playing ball, they don't have any insurance," Taylor said. "While the school can't be held liable for the expense (of the injury), it is the school's responsibility to make sure the kids all have some kind of accidental insurance before (the school) lets them participate in anything."

Taylor said students who participate in basketball have a separate insurance through the Arkansas Activities Association.

He said all students at the school should be well covered. "Every kid up here has got one free ride in an ambulance (if it is needed)," Taylor said.

He said this insurance is $201 higher than it was last year, but he stressed the importance for all students to have some sort of accidental insurance.

The board agreed to go forward with the insurance for students next year.

In other business, Taylor passed out information regarding breakfast and lunch prices at the school cafeteria and compared them to prices at neighboring schools. He said the current price of high school and elementary breakfast at Mammoth Spring is 50 cents and high school and elementary lunch is $1.

Taylor said about 65 percent of the school's students are on free or reduced lunches. "So, I hate to put any more of a burden on the other 30 to 35 percent that are paying full price," Taylor said.

The board took no action to change the current prices of breakfast and lunch.

A computer generated plan of how to spend the federal stimulus money was created and discussed. Taylor said the plan must be filed electronically.

Pre-school will receive about $10,000 from the stimulus. This money will be used to purchase Smart Boards and laptops for the pre-school classes.

Kindergarten through 12th grade under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) will receive about $105,000. This will be used to add to technology in the special education and speech therapy department. The money will also fund a fourth through eight grade resource room, which will help with the over population of the special education department. There are about 60 students in special education, according to one of the special education teachers.

The rest of the stimulus money, through Title 1, will be used in other classes and areas that need to be improved throughout the school.

Changes to the school handbook were approved. Students in high school can now count their grades in band, basketball, choir and other extra curricular courses as part of their GPA.

The board hired a new fifth through eight grade special education teacher. There were two prospective candidates. Paula England, a retired Missouri teacher, was hired.

Taylor gave the financial report. "We ended this month of May with about $50,000, after we settled up with everybody; about $50,000 more that we added in the month of May than we added last year," Taylor said. "We'll know by the July board meeting how we ended the (school) year."

The board approved a copy of a list of the 2010-2011 school year's anticipated expenditures.

The board also approved board policy changes as written.

The next Mammoth Spring School Board Meeting will be held July 13 at 7 p.m. in the Administrative Building.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: