[Nameplate] Fair ~ 76°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 61°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Man apprehended

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Information from Salem residents aided Salem Police Chief Albert Roork in the discovery on July 22 of a man involved in a hit-and-run accident resulting in serious injury at the intersection of Pine Street and Church Street, north of Main Street in Salem.

On July 6, an unidentified man left Kimberly Anderson at the scene with serious injuries, according to the Salem Chief of Police affidavit issuing a warrant for Robert Shane Carpenter's arrest.

Kincaid was taken to Fulton County Hospital, and then went by Air Evac to St. John's Hospital in Springfield, Mo.

Salem police discovered a blood trail from the scene of the accident to the home of Joe Benedict on Pine Street. The affidavit noted that blood was also found on the front porch.

Shortly after, the man left in a red car without reporting the accident or calling for medical attention, according to the affidavit.

"We had no idea who was riding that motorcycle. Nobody would tell," said Dillinger.

Police spoke to Benedict on July 13, where they discovered the man involved in the accident was Robert Shane Carpenter, 34, of Salem. Benedict recalled seeing and even riding the 1997 Honda motorcycle when Carpenter was a guest at his house.

Carpenter was also identified on July 15 as the man at the accident by a resident near the site of the crash. The resident was close enough at the time of witnessing the accident to observe that Carpenter had a "strong smell of alcohol on this person." Carpenter was also seen by the witness shortly before the accident driving the motorcycle at a high rate of speed, with a female passenger. He was leaving the Benedict's home, according to a witness' report in the affidavit.

Salem and Fulton County Police apprehended Carpenter at his home on Morriston Road in Fulton County, the evening of July 22.

"A woman answered the door and said he was not there," said Walter Dillinger, Fulton County Police Chief. "We had a picture of him but as far as knowing if he was a threat, we didn't know." Police manned the back door and the front door.

After Carpenter bailed out the back and attempted to climb his back fence, police made their arrest. He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and theft by receiving.

The motorcycle Carpenter rode with fictitious tags was reported stolen in Little Rock on Oct. 20, 2008.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: