[Nameplate] Fair ~ 54°F  
High: 76°F ~ Low: 62°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Highland police officer credited with saving couple from house fire

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

(Photo)
The remains of the home of Woodie and Wanda Purdue of Highland that was destroyed in a flue fire Dec. 28. Thanks to the quick response of Highland Police Officer Bryan Buchanan, the couple narrowly escaped the blaze with their dog and one of their cats. The couple's other two cats perished in the fire.
A Highland couple narrowly escaped an overnight blaze Dec. 28 that completely destroyed their Highland home. Woodie and Wanda Purdue were awakened in the early morning hours to what Wanda described as a "crackling sound" that she said she thought was water.

According to an incident report by Highland officer Bryan Buchanan, he saw a large, bright orange glow in the sky as he was passing Century Auto on the four lane in Highland. The officer said he could see what appeared to be the roof of a home on fire through the woods and immediately called central dispatch to have the fire department paged. Buchanan then went to the fire, which was on Sundown Road and said he could only see the blaze in the roof and said it was about a ten foot wide section around the chimney and extending about the same distance on the other side.

Buchanan recognized the vehicles because Pardue is a member of the city council, so the officer said he knew the couple was home. He said he then began beating on the door and yelling to try to wake them. Just prior to kicking the door open, he heard their voices as they came to the door. Wanda Pardue said she and her husband were able to grab a few clothes, her purse, a cat and a dog and get out, thanks to Buchanan.

Buchanan's report indicates at the time the couple was awakened, they were not aware of the extent of the rapidly spreading fire. Both Buchanan and Wanda Purdue said a few seconds after Buchanan shut off the door to prevent the air from spreading the fire, the roof collapsed and the entire end of the house was fully engulfed.

Buchanan said Highland firefighter Stephen Davis was the first one to the scene and promptly checked to ensure the propane tank was off to the home and assisted with the fire. Mrs. Pardue indicated her husband only had on a thin pair of long johns and Officer Buchanan offered his coat.

The Pardue's were very thankful to Buchanan, and said had it not been for his keen observations, the couple may have not gotten out of the home. Despite losing two cats in the blaze, the couple indicated they were lucky to be alive and very thankful for the response from the Highland Fire Department, Highland first responders, Cherokee Village and Sharp County Sheriff's Department, as well as their neighbors.

Mrs. Pardue said they are currently waiting on the minimal insurance they had on the home and are still undecided as to whether they will rebuild or purchase a modular home. The couple is currently staying with Robert and Nancy Dollar.

Pardue said she is very thankful to everyone for their help, saying "We are just blessed to have good friends. It makes you appreciate what we have."

Anyone wishing to help the Pardues may make a monetary donation at any First National Banking Company location, where a fund has been set up in the family's name.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on areawidenews.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

great job to the officer normaly they wouldnt do what he did but this goes to show an everyday hero. Great Job Buchanan

-- Posted by gannethan@hotmail.com on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:58 AM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: