[Nameplate] Fair ~ 58°F  
High: 77°F ~ Low: 61°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Body of missing Paragould teen found

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A search in remote areas of both Sharp and Fulton County led to the discovery of the body of missing Paragould teen Zach Ware on Saturday, July 30.

Ware was reported missing July 25 after leaving his Paragould home for football practice that afternoon. His family reported he did not make it to work or to a football scrimmage game. Police say he left home around 6:30 a.m. to go to work. Texts were sent to his parents telling them of places he planned to go during the day, including job training in Jonesboro, football camp at Valley View and swimming at the Jonesboro Country Club. Ware told his parents he would be home by 10:30 p.m., according to published reports on the justiceforkaylee.com Web site. His parents contacted the police on July 26 after discovering he had not returned home.

Police checked all locations and Ware had not been to any of his planned activities. Initial reports included sightings of Ware passing through Walnut Ridge and getting gas at Pocahontas. The nearly weeklong search for the teen ended after the discovery of his truck near Hardy. Ware's grandparents owned land near the river in Hardy, and officers with the Hardy Police Department searched the area.

Deputies with both Sharp and Fulton County Sheriff's Department joined the search, according to the press release, following up on leads provided by witnesses. Ware's 2001 Dodge truck was located on Rock House Road about 5:30 p.m. July 30.

A K-9 Unit with the Arkansas Department of Corrections, as well as a helicopter provided by the Baxter County Sheriff's Department, and Arkansas State Police Special Agents were utilized in the search of the area.

The body believed to be that of Ware, was located about 7:45 p.m. on July 30, after a helicopter with the Baxter County Sheriff's Department found a body near the area where Ware's truck had been located. The body was pronounced dead at the scene by a deputy coroner.

Although the body is believed to be that of Ware, it will be sent to the state medical examiner's office to determine the cause of death.

Ware's mother was alerted by a Paragould police officer that her son's phone had been turned on at 3:25 a.m. July 30 with the AT& T alert coming from the Nine Mile Ridge Road area near Hardy.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: