Graduates of 1951, 1952 and 1953 will be honored during the afternoon gathering in the fellowship hall of the Sidney Baptist Church. At the last reunion, in 2009, the graduates of 1948-50 were recognized, and the Class of 1957 was honored in 2007.
As in the past, the reunion will get underway shortly after noon, with light refreshments for those arriving early. The "Cardinal Award" program will be held at 2 p.m. to honor a person who has shown outstanding community service.
Sidney's public school closed in the summer of 1957 and the all-alumni gatherings have been staged on odd-numbered years since 1981. It has always been held on the Sunday afternoon before Labor Day and Mrs. Caraway has directed the reunions since the beginning.
Historian Craig Ogilvie, who wrote a history of the school and town in 1991, states that a school was established near the present site of Sidney about 1860 and that three different buildings (including a church) served the educational needs between the 1870s and 1950s.
The last school was constructed in 1932, using federal blueprints, volunteer labor and public donations. Shortly afterwards, a gymnasium and lunchroom were added to the campus under the auspices of the National Youth Administration work program. Both were veneered with native stone.
Consolidation from the 1920s until the late 1940s, added several one-room schools to the Sidney District. Brickle Springs, Pine Hill, Liberty, St. Paul, Cotton Hill, Eutopia, Peabody and Hamm School were among the schools that closed.
The last school construction at Sidney was a new elementary building, which was added in the early 1950s. All were razed during the late 1960s to make way for the construction of the Sharp County Nursing Home, which was closed in 2006.
For more information about the school reunion, call 870-283-6623.