[Nameplate] Fair ~ 77°F  
High: 82°F ~ Low: 64°F
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016

Christmas Day house fire destroys home

Thursday, December 29, 2011

(Photo)
Firefighters with the Cherokee Village Fire Department responded to a fully engulfed structure fire on Dec. 25 at 13 Powhattan Drive. The family escaped without injury, but lost all their belongings in the fire. Photo/CVFD [Order this photo]
The Cherokee Village Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Dec. 25 at 13 Powhattan Drive.

Cherokee Village Fire Department Lieutenant Russel Tanner said the home was completely engulfed upon arrival.

Captain Johnny Pendarvis was first to arrive and reported that flames were through the roof and the scene was very hot. Firefighter Jason Debosier was operating the second engine on scene and he reported that he could feel extreme heat 500 feet away, at the hydrant.

The residents were home at the time the fire began, and they reported hearing a "pop"sound from the back room, and found smoke coming from the area where the washer, dryer and water heater were located.

When they opened the door, the flames spread and, by the time they got a water hose, flames were spreading through the house. The family got the children out safely and called for help.

No injuries were reported, but the family left the home with only the clothes they were wearing.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: