[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 63°F  
High: 70°F ~ Low: 49°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Space heater likely culprit in Cherokee Village weekend house fire

Thursday, February 9, 2012

(Photo)
An early morning fire on Sunday, Feb. 5, destroyed a home at #22 Powhatan Drive in Cherokee Village.

Upon arriving, the firefighters found the structure was fully involved, with the roof already collapsed. A neighboring structure was in danger from radiant heat.

Off duty and volunteer firefighters responded to the all call page and assisted with extinguishing the fire and overhauling the scene, to prevent rekindling of the flames.

There were no injuries, as the resident was out of town at the time of the fire.

Lt. R. Tanner, spoke with the home owner's daughter, who said that her mother had advised her that she had recently encountered electrical problems, with the heating system throwing breakers when other electrical items were used.

The daughter also told Tanner that her mother had said an electrical space heater was plugged up in the home's bathroom, to keep pipes from freezing while she was gone because she was low on LP gas.

An electrical space heater was found by firefighters, that had burned through the floor in the bathroom area.

Firefighters believe this heater to be the cause of ignition, and the hole in the floor was the point of origin.

Holes were found in other rooms, but were caused by melted and burned furniture.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: